This programme focuses on understanding the agribusiness value chain as well as exposing participants to the viability of the different agribusiness value chain. The programme provides a new way of perceiving and interpreting reality for the sector’s managers and leaders. The purpose is to help managers and leaders abandon the perceptions that have defined their performance to date while giving them new tools for interpreting the realities of today’s agribusiness environment.
The program will take you away from the traditional mind-set to the much more pragmatic system approach or strategic thinking mind-set. The aim is to provide participants with knowledge and business skills of operating a typical agribusiness value chain in Africa.
The format of this three days programme has been designed recognizing the participant’s busy schedule, especially for those attending from out of Lagos. The participant also learns without group or peer pressure, as all participants may or may not have prior knowledge of investing in the agricultural sector. A small class size is maintained to ensure close faculty attention and foster individual learning. The learning model will be based on the use of case study method and practical experience sharing.
Key Learning Outcome
The aim is to provide participants with a broad knowledge of the agribusiness sector with a view to understanding the uniqueness of the sector and understanding the long term viability of investing in the sector. The course opens participants and investors to the challenges, opportunities and diversity of the agribusiness value chain.
- Introduction to agribusiness value chain
- Critical/ thinking and understanding the agribusiness value chain/Getting Started in the Agri-Value Chain
- Agricultural Sector Analysis. Managing Man, Machine, Technology in the Typical Agribusiness Setting.
- Introduction to the Greenhouse Technology/Understanding the Vegetables/Tomato/Pepper Value chain. Opportunities and Challenges
- Understanding the Cassava Value Chain: Opportunities and Challenges
- Understanding the Poultry/Feed Mill Value Chain: Opportunities and Challenges
- Understanding the Cat Fish/Scaly Fish Value Chain: Opportunities and Challenges
- Understanding the Pig Value Chain: Opportunities and Challenges
- Understanding the Sheep/Goat/Cattle Value Chain
The programme content is broken down into the following
- The psychology of Decision Making
- Personality and Decision Making
- Judgment & Decision Making (Simulation)
- Decision Making as Process
- Root Cause Analysis
- Gathering Intelligence
- Strategic Thinking and Decision Making
- Group Dynamics and the Decision Making Process
- Dealing with Uncertainty and the Constraint of Time