The world is facing huge sustainability challenges – from economic recession to climate change threats and social unrest. Conversely, these challenges present huge opportunities – ranging from alternative sources of energy to innovative business models for combating climate change risks and addressing poverty. These global sustainability challenges and opportunities are having real implications on organizations, regulators, and nation states. They require new leadership competencies and innovative strategies to cope with.
Countries in emerging markets, such as India, China, Brazil and Kenya, are already demonstrating this leadership. In Nigeria, the Federal Government is keen to promote and mainstream sustainability. Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and not repeating the flaws evident in the implementation of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) is crucial to our societal development and the advancement of sustainability. To achieve this, regulation is very important.
The emergence of the CBN’s Nigerian Sustainable Banking Principles (NSBP) and the Nigerian Sustainable Finance Roadmap for the financial services sector, for instance, is a clear demonstration of the role of regulation in fostering sustainable national development. The developments in the financial services sector need to be extended to other sectors.
However, given the newness of sustainability as an organizational practice in Nigeria, the regulators will need some support to come to speed with the practice.
This programme is therefore important, as it will address this gap in regulatory capacity. It will help regulators to develop, integrate and implement sustainability strategies that fit their agencies and industries. It will empower them to enhance their innovative capacity for contemporary and sustainable regulation by exposing them to mapping, assessment, and measuring of sustainability strategy. The programme will also help regulators position themselves better to lead the development and implementation of sustainability policies/guidelines in their industry/sector, which will further strengthen the industry/sector for improved and enhanced social, economic and environmental performance for sustainable national development.
Key Learning Objectives/ Benefits
- The Sustainability Leadership and Strategy for Regulators programme will empower regulators to develop innovative leadership skills, vision and strategic direction for sustainable regulation.
- The programme will empower regulators to develop capacity in capturing and measuring their social, environment and governance footprint and that of their various industry/sector.
This capacity will help drive and enforce responsible regulatory decisions, enable, transparency and accountability, which will be good for business, investors and customers. This would in turn drive responsible business decisions and investors’ confidence that will spur business performance and societal development
- Governance and Sustainability
- Sustainability and Regulation
- Trends in Sustainable Regulation
- Ethical issues in Regulation
- Strategic Leadership
- Leading for Sustainability
- Collaborative Leadership for Societal Impact
- Sustainability Leadership in Regulation
- Sustainability Strategy Development
- Sustainability Strategy Integration and Implementation
- Sustainability Policy/Guidelines for Industry/Sector wide
- Regulatory Sandbox Exercise and Action Planning (1)
- Sustainable Stakeholder Management
- Capturing and Measuring Environment, Social, and Governance (ESG) data for Regulatory Efficiency
- Sustainability reporting and communication as a performance management tool
- Regulatory Sandbox Exercise and Action Planning