Health and Safety management has moved from being a reactive programme about procedures and concern about merely avoiding injuries and complying with legislation to being a proactive, forward looking enabler of sustainable competitiveness through astute assessment and management of risks and an organizational culture that behaviourally conditions staff to be ethical and highly empowered value creators . It is now concerned with facilitating core strategic business objectives, developing organisational well being and resilience, as well as being a key tool for people management, leadership development, innovation and organisational excellence. Requisite understanding and skills in HS management is now a must-have and key tool in the armoury of capabilities of each manager, executive and business owner of companies that wish to excel.
Health and Safety management is germane to the development of a healthy workforce and systems that deliver innovation, process excellence and facilitate business performance and success and is replete with legislation, regulations, and professional standards and protocols. It is a critical aspect of risk management and the legal liabilities of failure as concerns individuals and public safety are huge.
This seminar positions health and safety management in the context of typical business operations and transactions with a view to developing an organisational culture that integrates HS into overall strategic management and the value creation process. It provides access to the most recent professional and regulatory perspectives and is a forum for sharing experiences by practitioners, regulators, consultants, civil society and law makers with a view to evolving a shared partnership for sensitizing and fostering in the larger community adherence to HS practices.
- Strategic management perspective of Health and Safety policy and arrangements
- Overview of Occupational Health and Safety Management
- Overview of Safety and Management of People
- Appraising your HS System
- Occupational Health and Safety and the Law
- Integrating HS into Risk Management and Compliance
- Safety leadership and Corporate H & S management
- Identifying and overcoming barriers to organisational Health and Safety excellence
- Integrating H & S into the Strategic Plan
- Regulatory, Ethical and Corporate governance dimensions
Key Learning Outcomes
At the end of the programme, participants will:
- Appreciate the strategic management and leadership dimensions for health and safety management in the business workplace and the need to manage Health and Safety with the same degree of expertise and principles as other core business activities.
- Understand how to install effective health and safety systems in the organisation, review their own systems for HS, introducing new controls or implementing changes as appropriate to make the workplace safer.
- Be aware of relevant legislation, standards, legal liability and risk management dimensions.
- Be knowledgeable about how to evolve a culture that will ensure compliance with established and emerging legal rules on health and safety management.