Health and Safety Management has moved from being a reactive programme about procedures, concerns about merely avoiding injuries and compliance with legislation. It has become a proactive, forward-looking enabler of sustainable competitiveness through astute assessment and management of risks and an organisational culture that behaviourally conditions staff to be ethical and highly- empowered value creators. It is now concerned with facilitating core strategic business objectives and developing organisational wellbeing and resilience. It is also a key tool for people management, leadership development, innovation and organisational excellence. Requisite understanding and skills in H&S management is now a must-have for managers, executives and business owners. Health and Safety Management is germane to the development of a healthy workforce and systems that deliver innovation, process excellence and facilitate business performance and success. It is replete with legislation, regulations, and professional standards and protocols. It is a critical aspect of risk management and the legal liabilities of failure as it concerns individuals and public safety are huge.
This seminar positions health and safety management in the context of typical business operations and transactions with a view to developing an organisational culture that integrates H&S into overall strategic management and the value creation process. It provides access to the most recent professional and regulatory perspectives and is a forum for sharing experiences by practitioners, regulators, consultants, civil society and lawmakers with a view to evolving a shared partnership for sensitising and fostering adherence to H&S practices in the larger community.
- Strategic management perspective of Health and Safety policy and arrangements
- Overview of occupational health management
- Overview of safety and management of people
- Appraising your H&S System
- Occupational health and safety and the law
- Integrating with risk management and compliance
- Safety leadership and corporate H&S management
- Identifying and overcoming barriers to organisational health and safety excellence
- Integrating H & S into the strategic plan
- Regulatory, ethical and corporate governance dimensions
Key Learning Outcomes
- Appreciating the strategic management and leadership dimensions for health and safety management in the business workplace and the need to manage health and safety with the same degree of expertise and principles as other core business activities.
- Understanding how to install effective health and safety systems in the organisation, review their own systems for H&S, introducing new controls or implementing changes as appropriate to make the workplace safer.
- Awareness of relevant legislation, standards, legal liability and risk management dimensions.
- Evolving a culture that will ensure compliance with established and emerging legal rules on health and safety management.